Thursday, November 14, 2013

Slicing and Diceing Language -- I Want A Lot

I will start and end with this to give a significant morning prayer to myself blog entry a book end symmetry with something handed to me as Pre Amble:
"You see, I want a lot.
Perhaps I want everything: the darkness that comes with every infinite fall
and the shivering blaze of every step up. . .
 You have not grown old, and it is not too late
to dive into your increasing depths
where life calmly gives out its own secret."

—Rainer Maria Rilke, from Selected Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke, trans. by Robert Bly
However you slice or dice it.  It is all language.  It = It.  Not much meaning there but the foundation of creating meaningful things. 

It is all just numbers and strings.  Maybe just strings since strings may contain numbers and other characters.

It is all about the string but as a common language by which to express our common logic in a common structure it gives meaning to the string.  Meaning has great power when it means the same thing to everyone.  Logic and the truth  expressed with the common language.  The trinity of Logic, Language and Structure for everyone.

Uincode.  I put that link in here and now to remind myself to come back to it as an important future blog subject.  Unicode is an elegant thing.





I woke up with the following thought this morning that I also need to write down in order to loop back to at some future blog point:

The Society of English Majors could solve all the world's problems.

One more thing to add:  A concept that permeates everything I think and write about:  High Level of Abstraction.  And of course its structural counterpart doing the work down in the ditches where the rubber meets the road: "Low Level of Abstraction" which in reality is not abstract at all but where hand meets real tool to get the job done.

How does all this stuff come into my mind?

I don't know, I just wake up with it.  Life is all about waking up through levels of consciousness. Starting with a some given state of consciousness.

I start climbing tree to (the higher level) moon here.....the start point is relative, it is not
absolute.  Otherwise I would be climbing in circles.

I think that the highest level of abstraction is expressed by a language we all speak and understand.  That has not happened since Babel.  I wrote about Babel in a previous blog entry here.  When I start linking to my own blog entries I must be building structure!

Unicode is a common means of uniting computer programming world wide.  We may use different natural languages but they all deal with the same things and actions, nouns and verbs and their associated modifiers that are the things of computer languages

Our own Natural Language Programming is done in English.  Music and math are more universal languages for programming.  Wouldn't it be great if we all sang the same tune from the same song sheet.

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony....take time to go to this link and listen to a poetic high level of abstraction thought.  It frames what follows.

This is the top of my tree.  This is where tree and me at the top reach the moon.  Where I want my structured thoughts to go through language to logic from the bottom in the trenches to the top.  The vision, the goal, the unity, the highest level.  My inspiration to get me there, a beautiful song in a language we all understand at this link:  Sing

Climbing as follows:::::::::::--------
You see, I want a lot.
Perhaps I want everything: the darkness that comes with every infinite fall
and the shivering blaze of every step up. . .

You have not grown old, and it is not too late
to dive into your increasing depths
where life calmly gives out its own secret.
—Rainer Maria Rilke, from Selected Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke, trans. by Robert Bly
Translated because it was originally written in German.  Much was lost in translation as per the comments at Amazon.com.  That is the problem a common language solves.  I don't even know German!

All we can do with inspiration is pass it on.  Each pass enhances it.

Thanks for the inspiration.  It is a joyous burden to be responsible for passing it on. 

Publish or perish!  Publishing is passing it on.  Playing catch with myself is not a way to pass anything.

More quotes from Rilke here.  and also here.  


No comments: