Saturday, November 2, 2013

Play is Experimental Research

This is a TED talk about child learning.  The good part starts later in the talk where she says:  "Play is Experimental Research"

I am playing around with ideas about money.  It is play to me.  I have been fortunate to be able to focus my entire life on play for 27 years and I find that playing around with ideas about money is one of the most fun things in my life.  Just one, I have many others.  What they all have in common is "Experimental Research".  Research from the standpoint of the child in the TED talk that was the focus of scientists at play.

The child does not know much and has to figure things out.  I don't know much and am trying by Experimental Research to figure things out.  Tools to do it are available on the internet.  One of them is Wikipedia.  Rather than learn all about a thing academically then see how that knowledge is applied to things and what they do, I look at the things, real and conceptual, play around with them until I find out how they work.  Or, knowing something about how they work, why they do not work and what things are necessary to make them work. 

Did I tell you that I am "thing" oriented?  Read the blog :) !!

This blog web site is me at play!

Maybe there are two kinds of play, each practiced predominately two kinds of people.  They are identified like this:

Give/Take your best shot.  (focus on the action)

Give it all you've got.  (focus on the thing)

One, by logic, reason and the nature of being requires the other.  It is a trinity.

It is my belief that focus on the thing wins for me at a ratio of 2 to 1.

The Action:  There are many ways to take the shot.

The Thing:  There is only one way to give it all I have.

"Let the beauty you love be what you do ... there are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground." - Rumi

I think that Rumi was an object thing oriented guy.

Jeanette gave me inspiration.  That is everything she gave to me.  Everything that we have to give of ourselves, to ourselves, to others. 

Inspiration is given in so many ways.

The way to give, the action of giving a thing called Inspiration is through Experimental Research. 

Play is Experimental Research. 

A fascination concept to play with.

No comments: