Monday, November 11, 2013

HowYa Doin', Whatcha Doin'... Hello Gerund!

Doin'.  With the apostrophe substituting for the missing letter.  The letter not spoken so it is not written.  Spoken or written it is still full an complete in our minds with the "g". at the end that gives it meaning.

What's it's meanin'  Funny how we make contractions of two words and drop letters of words.  A short hand to get it out quickly.  Habla mas despacio pro favor!

Doing.  A gerund.  The word gerund has not crossed my mind since......fagetaboutit...too long ago.  Spell checker even told me I spelt it wrong.

Turn on the Wikipedia light when a concept like gerund is lost in the fog of a distant idea.

In Latin and English grammar, the gerund is a non-finite verb form that can function as a noun. The English gerund ends in -ing (as in I enjoy playing basketball); the same verb form also serves as the English present participle (which has an adjectival or adverbial function), and as a pure verbal noun. The gerund is the form that names the action of the verb (for instance, playing is the action of "to play"). In some cases a noun ending in -ing sometimes serves as a gerund (as in I like building things, I like painting / I like painting pictures, and I like writing / I like writing novels), while at other times serving as a non-gerund indicating the product resulting from an action (as in I work in that building, That is a good painting, and Her writing is good). The latter case can often be distinguished by the presence of a determiner before the noun, such as that, a, or her in these examples.

Gerund.  A funny word for a funny animal like the one in Dr. Sues.  Elusive like something out of Alice in Wonderland.  Its neither this nor that.... it all depends on what it is.

I just havta throw this in here.  I ran across it while chasing the elusiveness of gerund around the internet:  Dirty Gerund at Ralph's Rock Diner

What'sa Dirty Gerund?  That elusive thing defined here.  Perhaps there should be a Wikipedia expressed in the language of poetry!

This new direction is more fun than thinking about money.

So what'sa gerund doing in a nice place like this world of Object Orientation?  Is it some kind of transvestite?  

Dirty Gerund at Ralph's Rock Diner is Poetry Slam 2.0!

This blog entry started with one idea and along the way totally different idea found me.  That is the story of my travels!  That is the adventure!

I like this new Via of getting where I want to go....that is wherever it takes me!

Whatcha Doin' ????

Gerunding!

Last Saturday in Bend would be a great place for a franchise of  Dirty Gerund at Ralph's Rock Diner.  Or maybe even better, the Volcanic Theater Pub







No comments: