Thursday, January 28, 2016

Bottom Feeding In the Data Supply Chain - Vigilent Mobile Companion

Update 26 Jan 2018: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10141972032

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2016/01/this-is-just-evil-massive-private-license-plate-database-tracks-car-locations-over-years.html

License Plate Readers are a continuing interest.  This is added to prior blogs but appropriate on the heels of the most recent prior blog entries related to personal privacy and monetizing personal  information on a Data Supply Chain.  In a much earlier blog about LPR I considered an LPR on my car to harvest plate ID as a drove and sell it on the market to anyone that would buy it for a fraction of a cent per plate time and location.  Truck drivers could do the same to monetize their driving.  As equipment prices go down it becomes more cost effective.

Occasionally I check for cheap or free software to use on existing equipment to act as an LPR.  This software is available to turn an iPhone into a dashcam.   However I have not seen features that would enable it to do LPR.  However, if my iPhone can do facial recognition then it would seem that it might also be able to do LPR with an API.

This looks interesting: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vigilant-mobile-companion/id953236853?mt=8  The same Vigilent as the beginning link.  I am amazed that this is now available. Downloaded the APP.  Now everyone can monetize their driving.  Selling it gets a two-fer for the buyer.  Not only the info I record but where I was when I recorded it!  Some might not thing of the second piece of info.

I'm in business.  Hello, Vigilent.  How much will you pay per 100 plates read with time and place info?

OOps!  I have to register to use the App!  It is exclusively for Vigilent law enforcement customers.

No doubt somebody will create a public app for the same thing.

Imense has iPhone LPR reader apps on the iPhone App store

No comments: