Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Annotating Web Pages

Many years ago I discovered an app that gave me the ability to add my own comments on any WWW page.  Not directly on the page but through a third party that related my addition by linking it to the web page.  Linking it transparently.  Transparent as far as anyone looking at my comments as a side bar or a highlight (or any other highlighting method) on the original web page is actually looking at what the third party holds as my comment.  The viewer must be signed on to the third party provider to see the annotated additions.  Annotated additions may be public or limited to group permissions.

In this blog I link often to things I find on the WWW and comment on them.  Often I cut and paste from the link to extract specific things I am referring to.  In essence I am annotating the original WWW page but in a way that is several steps removed from actually writing my comments on it.  What I do is bring the WWW page I am referring to into my blog site webpage....that nobody really looks at but that is OK, I only write it for myself.

If I have something significant to add, and once in a while I do have an idea that might contribute something, annotation on the WWW page through a third party is a worthwhile tool that makes the annotation available to anyone looking at the original WWW page through the services of the same third party.

I often link to NakedCapitalism.com in this blog.  That site accepts comments.  I have submitted a couple over the years.  Comments there are generally made by a core group of intelligent informed people.  I have to humbly sit in the back pew of that church.  Comments there are essentially annotations to links that Yves presents on the first page.  Specific selected links or in the general collection of links under the link: "Links (dated)" or the "2PM Watercooler (dated)" collection of links to add links and provide the opportunity for left coasters to make early comments.

It would be an interesting exercise if Yves were to cite one of the third parties providing annotation services as a "preferred provider" for comment annotation.  She has an open comment policy, but well patrolled if necessary by her and those that are core commenters.  A third party offers the opportunity for formation of permissioned self forming groups to annotate..I think.  There are many third party providers of this service.

Regarding these third party providers.  Wikipedia describes them at Web Annotation and list some.  WC3 site is an effort to establish common standards for Open Annotation.

https://www.w3.org/blog/2015/12/annotation-coalition-launched/

Perhaps I could make annotated comments on my own blog, this blog, through a third party as a way to extend basic thoughts.  That puts basic thought segments into a summary or outline form.  I often drift away or go off on relational ramblings that may or may not contribute to a condensed version of the basic idea......if there is such a thing.

I like the Open Annotation concept.  Probably with some degree of closed group annotating where, independent of comment ability granted directly at the WWW site (or not granted) anyone can comment at a third party site.  That expands the openness of WWW.

Roaming the WWW looking at web page annotation.  I was born too soon!  I found this.  They are looking for me!  If I could start over again I would seek to have what it takes to get hired!

This is one of the efforts that the recruitment link mentions: Ongoing development of the citizen science application Mark2Cure with an emphasis on its integration with all of the projects listed above.  This application is in the technical field of seeking bio medicine cures but the seeker does not have to be a subject matter expert!  That's me for sure!  It uses annotation methodology and gives an introductory trainee exercise. Try it!

Annotation is used as a crowdsourcing knowledge thing in this narrowly focused filed.  It is a model for application in any focused problem solving domain.  Like mine in the problem domain of money and blockchain for example.


No comments: