Thursday, January 31, 2019

Waltzing Matilda - Old Tune - With greater meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnFzCmAyOp8

I searched all my blog for entries containing "Australia".   Amazing what I wrote.  No wonder I put a total public exclusion on it and backed it up!  Maybe someday it will be open again.  I have the back ups.  I did the whole thing thinking it might have some value to AI beyond the last entry.  It is like completing the 23 and me kit this week after sitting on the shelf for so long.

Among the entries I found this one:



In our close cultural divide it still does not convey a distant understanding of national character woven into the fabric of the nation and its past.

My first time in Australia was port visit to Bunbury after being offshore during the fall of Saigon.

Later in 1975 I received orders that exchanged me for an Australian navy officer for two years.

Since I retired in 1986 I have returned maybe 10 times.  Once with Jeanette on a teaching exchange.

While I was there there when the choice was made.
http://theconversation.com/how-advance-australia-fair-waltzed-with-matilda-and-won-21564
I had no vote but I encouraged a vote for Waltzing Matilda.

It is still my favorite. So is the nation and its people.  Yanks that know the character of Australia feel the same.  Yves Smith feels it.  We know the feeling.  Hard to describe but know to those that share it.

Anzac has a special meaning deep in the hearts of Australia.

Somehow it showed up in a very emotional and overpowering Youtube play list.  Strange it was there among the nature of the tunes listed on the right.

Not so strange nor mysterious.  I played it not knowing the revision.  I was at the parade, at the War Memorial.  Officers and civilians I worked with told me about the meaning of the day.   I had to pause the video a couple times.

Music has power.  I never heard this version before.  Now I hear our own music and what it tells the heart and the soul in the same way.

No comments: