Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sunday Prayer

If the preceding post in this blog was "going to church" this Sunday morning then this is the prayer that I offer for my niece's daughter who graduated from high school yesterday:

..........................

S.... is off on a great adventure.  Like my first ship sailing from San Diego to Japan and beyond.  Leaving homeport on a fantastic voyage.

Leaving home for Colorado with a desire to study sociology!  That is a grand adventure.  The kind of adventure I like and am still on.

The internet is social media and the greatest social researchers tool we have.  It does not take a degree in computer science to use it but some understanding of the tool to apply it.  Like you apply it to what you do.  S.... said she is interested in sociology.  She is going to study what I would like to study if I went back to college.  I am not going there but I enjoy studying it on the internet.

S.... might be interested in this link:  The MIT Decentralized Information Group  Especially the Ted talk by Tim Berners-Lee. 

The "New Web” he talks about will be even more social oriented and will be the web that S.... will experience.  It will be people and our societies expressed in a social oriented world wide web far beyond the relatively narrow scope of the web today.  It is going to be a Social Science playground where we discover so much more about ourselves and our societies.   Hopefully, for a much better world.  S...... is going to be one of those that study Social Science and have not only the tool of a “New Web” to do it but a future tool to apply what she studies to make the change we seek.

It is an exciting world and I wish her smooth sailing in it with the rewards of discovery and application like I have known in the “old world”.  That is where I was.  S.... is going into a new world and in 4 or more years it will be so much more like the kind of world that Tim Berners-Lee talks about. 

Old envy the young.  Hope is eternal and passed on to them. 

That is the best thing we can give.

I have high hopes for her future and joy in knowing that I will see some of it happen.  You will see even more. 

S..... will see it all!

Here is a peek into the crystal ball of her future at this link.  I looks to me like it is all about Social Science.  Pure science always viewed social science as a poor sister.  Not any more.  She is really Cinderella.


No comments: