Monday, October 7, 2013

Government, Tipping and Punishers

This was thought provoking.  That is why I liked it.  Provoked some thoughts that contributed to my conceptual view structure.  A contribution from the anthropology sector.
The Punishers Want To Run The Country or We Are All Tipped Waitstaff Now

I would choose one paragraph as the meat of this long analysis but each one packs a punch so by default I will choose the last one since that is where the author provides their pro forma summation but on re-reading the whole thing (which is much more than the sum of its parts) points to the penultimate paragraph as the better one.  The last paragraph might be more of an post-script.

Interestingly enough just yesterday Echidne of the Snakes had a good piece up about PUAs and Roosh which makes basically the same point about the preference some men have for purchased or coerced sex over mutually chosen sex. Despite a general cultural assumption that what is "free" is preferable to what is costly there are many social interactions, or perhaps I mean types of people, for whom money is the preferred medium since it is seen as creating no social obligation and/or it functions as a form of coercion where no social or emotional tie exists. 

Tipping in Europe for the last month is something I had to read about while in France.  My memory of what I read was that tipping custom there was the about the norm throughout Europe.

(Note: Can't turn off bold for some reason) Seems to take two CR's.


Not so.  In Hungary it is conditionally 10%.  My traveling companion asked me why I tip 20% in the USA but only 10% in Hungary where the people have less.  I don't like the tipping concept in the first place but it is a way to re-distribute my wealth as a concept I salute like a full stop at a stop sign just to affirm what I believe by an act that in itself really does not matter that much.  I failed in my explanation to her that it was all contextual.  She saw it as hypocritical.

Leaving the tip on table in Hungary is insulting.

Ooops!

I think that paying in cash is preferred and when the waiter brings the bill, write how much I want to pay on it and the waiter then brings the change.  Thinking about it: A much better personal interaction.  Going on that concept I was perplexed when the waiter said it would be added to the hotel bill.  In that case I handed him a tip while thanking him for the service and the excellent meal.

Not sure it worked, who knows.  A smile is said to get a lot in any situation but Europeans say that Americans smile too much.  Just a cliche?  Maybe sincerity is better.  Is sincerity (or lack of) a universal language? Can it be accurately detected across language and custom barriers?

To what extent does "Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt" tip?

Fascinating custom! 

Reward?I

Punishment?

Seen as which by whom and why? 

Narrow the scope of analysis to tipping in Washington D.C.  In Republican establishments.  What might we infer and conclude. The congressional cafeteria?

A comment by a reader of the subject blog included this link worth thinking about pointing to how people get to be the way they are which is related to how they tip and why.


"For Your Own Good, the contemporary classic exploring the serious if not gravely dangerous consequences parental cruelty can bring to bear on children everywhere, is one of the central works by Alice Miller, the celebrated Swiss psychoanalyst."

Another comment added this link .  "India Untouched" about the caste system.  From the link Youtube video: "The spine of the caste system is the Hindu religion."...."it is a system that leads to the betterment of society" The video is 1 hour 50 minutes long.  About 10 minutes will suffice.

I think that some societies are nationally sick.  Objectively sick.  I could name the countries.  They are not in a state of "wellness" which might nevertheless encompass "sicknesses withing the body" but sick as a society, or a country if that applies if there is no cross border.

(Bold type problem again)

Segments within a healthy society are also sick. 

We have our own "caste system"  Link here.

Well worth reading the whole comment.

Rich People Just Care Less

There is a difference between social sickness and a sick society.  Calling out the difference is a touchy thing!  Especially when the sickness has "religious" underpinnings.  

Might that require going to the core?

In the beginning even?

 Don't all structures require that in extremis?

The cure is a restructure of the social system going to the level necessary to regain health.

Maybe it is all in the concept of what we own as this link examines Conceptually or otherwise.

The problem of ownership

Add to Reading List









No comments: