Sunday, December 27, 2015

TensorFlow

Today I discovered that I am a couple months behind the Artificial Intelligence curve.  It was a surprise to me to discover TensorFlow and that Google Opened Sourced it last November 2015.  I feel that I keep up in these things in a timely manner but discover that I am a walker in a running race.  Running to catch up is maybe always a way to perpetually be an equal distance behind.

Just how far back is the general public in relation to the front runners.  I think that there is a big tail end in this race.  It is a difficult one and I think that most don't care to be in it,  the consuming users at the very periphery interface screen presentation.  Games, Netflix and cell phone.

Google TensorFlow:

"Data flow graphs describe mathematical computation with a directed graph of nodes & edges. Nodes typically implement mathematical operations, but can also represent endpoints to feed in data, push out results, or read/write persistent variables."

A Person is an end node at the edge of all this like at the surface of a sphere with a variable degree of understanding of the relationship and operation of the supporting hardware and software below the surface.  Comparing it to Natural Language, people know how to use it to communicate with other people on the surface of simplicity.  But few (increasingly fewer) use Natural Language to communicate with others via a node at a technical depth of complexity and comprehension inter-related to other nodes in a problem domain such as law, medicine, quantum mechanics, computer programming, etc.  Most communicate at a talking to Jack, level you know.  If it gets a hamburger at the window what more is necessary?

We talk about a rich 1% and how that effects society.  There is a technically intelligent 1% that also has a great power to effect society that does not understand or want to understand complexity.

It looks to me like Artificial Intelligence (AI) will leave Natural Intelligence in the dust.  Or will it enhance it?

AI is a fascinating thing.  Will it drive our cars or drive us?  Where is the drive going?  If we do not keep up with it then it might go over the cliff?  Some think that is possible.

Meanwhile I continue to chase it trying to keep up with how fast it is going.

Apple's Swift is another Open Source thing.  I downloaded the Swift Programming online book available at the Apple Store.  I actually got some distance into it, as far as page count goes.  As page count increased, comprehension decreased.  What page did I get to when I reached zero?  Embarrassed to say.  Proud however that I got as far as I could.  I tried.

TensorFlow looks to me like a Jack in the Box drive up menu and microphone where an order can be placed talking to Jack and then picked up at the window.  It simplifies complexity for the user interface requiring little knowledge or work otherwise required to build or even fully understand the underlying structure of  node knowledge.  Doing something with what is delivered at the drive up window is what restricts this burger stand to those who know what to do with the burger they get.  That requires some degree of tech sophistication.

What those techies can do with it is make the user interface at the real world Jack in the Box easier for the burger consumer to use.  All they have to understand is "Burger" and "Drive up to the Window" and use their Apple Pay.  Applying the military tactic of "standoff capability" they can order a burger while on the way to pick it up with the system computing based on walking, biking, driving, traffic conditions and the wait time of burger orders to compute when the order must be placed in advance to have "just in time" delivery at the window.

Ain't technology wonderful!

How day do dat?

My father always enjoyed telling me about the first question I asked him:  "How do der make glass daddy?"  He was an inquisitive man also that new a little about everything.

How do der? 

Google Google!

If you care to know.

Otherwise it is all transparent.  

No need to see it or know it.


AI

No comments: