Thursday, June 30, 2016

Why I Can't Seem to Get in a Word Edgewise

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/01/the-incredible-thing-we-do-during-conversations/422439/

I am very awkward about taking my turn to speak.  Just too late to utter a sound in the 200 millisecond it takes to claim the turn to speak.  Outside of that window it becomes interrupting someone quick enough to take their turn.   I also have a problem of starting a dance step on the beat.

I read a book that had a description of how Navaho Indians converse.  One says something the other takes time to think about what was said.  Perhaps meaning that what was said is worth thinking about?  Then after a pause they reply.  If either wishes to change the subject the simply change it abruptly.  

I wonder what an analysis of Navaho conversation would reveal?

Maybe I have some Navaho in me?

No comments: